Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Suzanne's Secret Six-Minute Sauce



This is one of my daughter's favorite recipes and a foolproof way to transform leftovers into something special. We'll all have leftover turkey this week, so consider putting some of it in this easy sauce. This recipe produces a velvety sauce in the microwave in 6 minutes. Seriously. I started tinkering with this method as a teenager, once I learned the magic thickening power of cornstarch. You can add items to the recipe that you enjoy, but here is the basic method.

You'll need:
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 white wine (optional, but I love it)
2-3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper


You can use any glass container, but I prefer a 4-cup glass Pyrex measuring cup with a spout and handle. This lets you stir and pour easily. Add all the ingredients to the container and stir to combine. Blend the cornstarch completely; the cheese will not incorporate until the sauce is hot.

Here's what it looks like to start:


Place the container in the microwave and heat on high for two minutes. The butter will start to melt and the sauce will look like this:


Stir the sauce and heat for two more minutes. The sauce will tighten up more and look like this:


Again, stir thoroughly and give the sauce 1-2 minutes more (based on the power of your microwave). I find that three rounds of 2 minutes each is perfect at my house.

You sauce will now look like this:


I added about a cup of cooked chicken, a half cup of sauteed mushrooms and some steamed spinach to produce this:


Yummy, huh? This is a great way to use roasted chicken, like I suggested on Sunday. This is one of my daughter's all-time favorites, plus it is easy and quick to prepare. And you don't have to whisk or try to avoid lumps. This is a lump-free method that yields about 3 cups of sauce.

2 comments:

  1. I added the chicken and mushrooms to start and the spinach at the end to serve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a great staple recipe. I have a similar one, but never thought to add wine (duh me).

    ReplyDelete